A Construction Superintendent is responsible for implementing the pre-construction, construction, commissioning, and project closeout phases of solar field installation projects with an emphasis on establishing and maintaining project controls and completing projects in a timely and cost-effective manner. The Construction Superintendent must have demonstrated skills negotiating, coordinating, and directing work of subcontractors, and in developing strong working relationships with general employees, general contractor personnel, subcontractors, and other related parties.
Other requirements include, but are not limited to, the ability to organize and manage solar projects effectively, to manage cost control systems, review and analyze plans, facilitate the bidding/negotiations/buyout process with a general contractor, review all forms of requests for information (RFI’s), examine and negotiate change orders, and review and comment on submittals. The successful candidate must be highly skilled in budgeting and scheduling with strong verbal and writing skills.
- Provide detailed constructability reviews of solar project documents; make recommendations accordingly.
- Advise, consult, lead and provide feedback on the development of construction procurement documents, including plans, and construction phase consulting services.
- Participate in and/or lead project evaluation and consultant selection for applicable procurements.
- Manage day-to-day work on projects in solar construction phases; coordinate and make recommendations regarding status of work.
- Provide regular detailed reporting/metrics on existing projects, resources allocation, project status completion statistics, any variances to plan and forecasting of future needs.
- Review and monitor project work to ensure that progress is within expected guidelines and is completed on time and within budget.
- Review and provide recommendations on potential Change Orders on projects and process per contractual requirements, providing detailed analysis of impacts to the company budget and schedule.
- Regularly review project schedules, analyze and monitor construction progress to determine impacts to schedule and provide feedback to the Sr. Project Manager and VP, Operations.
- Complete any other job-related duties as assigned.
- Education: Undergraduate University degree or higher in Construction Management, Project Management Civil Engineering, or equivalent. Other relevant education, training or work experience may substitute for bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 2 years of construction management is required, with at least 1 years in the solar industry preferred.
- 1-2 years of roof-top experience.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with internal and external resources, and stakeholders.
- Self-directed and able to function with ease as part of a team.
- Technically astute and strategic in thinking.
- Strong interpersonal skills along with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to focus on details as required and have the ability to work well within a deadline driven environment.
- Proven organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Proficient in MS Word, Outlook, Excel and Microsoft Office tools, and some knowledge of applicable project management software.
- Stand or walk for long periods of time.
- Use arms and hands to reach for, handle or manipulate objects.
- Lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 pounds; occasionally lift items weighing more than 50 pounds with assistance.
- Climb up and down ladders, scaffolds, and other objects.
- Stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- See well (naturally or with correction).
- Eye-hand coordination.
- Good physical fitness.
- Good sense of balance.
- Uses personal computer approximately 4-5 hours per day.